swindonweb®  home    make this my homepage
myswindonweb   LOGIN / REGISTER  

Out of work? 

Your first step back in to the world of work
Are you out of work? Facing redundancy?
If you've recently become unemployed, there are several ways to make getting back to work easier and less stressful.
You may be eligible to receive financial help while you search for jobs - from Jobseekers Allowance and Income Support, to subsidised travel and childcare costs.
Your first step should be to find out what you're entitled to, and make sure you have the financial support you need before you feel the strain.
Read on for more information about Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, and what the JobCentrePlus can do for you...

JobCentre Plus Swindon
Jobseekers Allowance, sometimes referred to as "the dole", is a form of unemployment benefit paid to people who are seeking work.
It is paid for by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), and is available to those of working age who are out of work, or who work less than 16 hours a week on average.
To claim JSA, there are several criteria you will need to meet. You must:
* Be looking for paid employment
* Usually be able to work at least 40hrs a week
* Be 18 or over and under state pension age
* Have paid enough NI contributions
* Have income/savings under a particular limit
There are two types of JSA that you may be able to apply for.
One is based on the National Insurance payments you've paid in the last two years, and the other is calculated according to your family circumstances.
You can claim Jobseekers Allowance online (see link below), over the telephone, or in person at the JobCentrePlus.
To make your claim by telephone, or to arrange an appointment with an adviser, call JobCentre Plus on: 0800 055 6688.
* Any payments you receive on redundancy (i.e. final pay/wages if you worked a week in hand/holiday pay) are not taken into consideration when calculating the amount of JSA you will receive.


Income Support is an income-related benefit providing financial help for people who earn less than the minimum level set by Parliament.

The amount of Income Support you are entitled to will depend on your financial resources such as earnings and savings.
Claimants must:
* Be aged between 16-59, inclusive
* Work fewer than 16 hours a week
* Have a reason for not actively seeking work (on grounds of illness, disability, caring for children, or someone who is ill)
If you have savings over 16,000 you are not eligible for Income Support, and if you have savings over 6,000 it will affect how much Income Support you receive.

Claimants of Income Support may be entitled to certain other benefits, for example, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and help with health costs.

Income Support is paid for out of taxation. If you are eligible for Income Support it is your right to claim it.
You can claim Income Support online (see link below), over the telephone, or in person at the JobCentrePlus.
To make your claim by telephone, or to arrange an appointment with an adviser, call JobCentre Plus on: 0800 055 6688.

If you think you're elegible for financial assistance, the JobCentre Plus can help.
Call 0800 055 6688 (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm) to find out more, or to book an appointment with an adviser.

When claiming benefits, you will need:
* Your National Insurance number
* Details of your rent/mortgage
* Details of your past/present employer
* Details of other income and savings

The JobCentre Plus is not just about getting you a new job. Specialist advisers will help you decide what your options are, what financial help you are eligible to receive, and much more.
There are many ways to get back in to work and the JobCentrePlus can help you do so.
With advice and support available through every stage, from benefit entitlements, writing your CV and searching for jobs, to training opportunities which will increase your employability - it's your one-stop shop.
Call 0800 055 6688  to arrange an appointment, or visit their website via the link below for more information.