swindonweb®  home    make this my homepage
myswindonwebbusiness   LOGIN / REGISTER  
Date added: 07 October 2009

Jazz what Swindon needed 

New Honda model seen as a big boost to Swindon business
 
It just shows what a difference a year can make as the first British-built Jazz was driven off the production line at Honda's car manufacturing plant in Swindon this morning.
 
Honda Jazz rolls off the Swindon production line
Jazz in tune:
production has moved to Swindon from
Japan to keep up with demand for the
new family 'supermini'
Ask any Swindon worker nine months ago whether they thought this would happen and they would probably say no - but today there was nothing but good news. 
 
The South Marston plant announced it expects to make 20,000 Jazz models in the first six months, bringing a planned total production level for the factory in this financial year to just over 100,000.
 
Compare that to back in February, when the plant closed for 4 months as demand for new cars slumped.
 
Now 75% of the cars manufactured at Swindon are destined for the UK market, with the other 25% exported to 55 countries across Europe and other regions, including South Africa.
 
Scrappage boost
 
The five-door Jazz has made up 70% of all of Honda's Government Scrappage Scheme deals and is seen as a car ideal for those looking to downsize.
 
"We see this addition of a third model as a wonderful opportunity in the current climate," said David Hodgetts, Director of Honda of the UK Manufacturing (HUM).
 
"The car is incredibly popular with customers, and it has won countless awards for its quality and reliability."
 
Big move
 
Today also marked the move of the production of Jazz from Japan to its Swindon factory which according to Mr Hodgetts further demonstrates that Honda is surviving the global recession relatively well.
 
"Sales of new cars are improving and shifting production to the UK is a real vote of confident for all our Associates here in Swindon," he added.
Honda Jazz - 07/10/2009
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
Honda Jazz
RELATED CONTENT
Honda Boss Speaks Of Civic Pride In Swindon
Honda Boss Speaks Of Civic Pride In Swindon VIDEO: New model unveiled as South Marston plant gears up with 200m investment....
More16 September 2016
Honda Fire
Honda Fire Production resumes after weekend blaze...
More25 January 2016
I Predict A R-iot
I Predict A R-iot Kaiser Chiefs frontman Ricky Wilson in Swindon to collect new Honda Civic Type-R - SEE PICTURES
More20 August 2015
Honda Puts Swindon At The Centre Of World Expansion
Honda Puts Swindon At The Centre Of World Expansion CIVIC HUB: 200 million investment means USA here we come...
More31 March 2015
Task Force Job Fair Success
Task Force Job Fair Success Recruiting businesses impressed with calibre and commitment of former Honda workers...
More17 June 2014
Honda Task Force
Honda Task Force We speak to project leader Jill Annal ahead of the job fair organised for redundant workers...
More19 May 2014
Honda Take Stock
Honda Take Stock 340 production workers at Swindon plant face job threat after shift change...
More25 March 2014
Honda To Cut 800 Jobs
Honda To Cut 800 Jobs Downturn in EU sales blamed for shock news today - but is it because the new Civic is (hate to say it) plain 'ugly'? - COMMENT
More11 January 2013
Honda Launches CR-V
Honda Launches CR-V Big boost for Swindon as Business Secretary praises car plant investment...
More07 September 2012
Recovery Starts Here?
Recovery Starts Here? New Honda Civic rolls off the production line as 500 new jobs announced...
More19 December 2011
Honda Halves Production
Honda Halves Production Two-day week for 3,000 staff at Swindon extended until September...
More25 May 2011
Beat the recession
Beat the recession New College host open evening which offers advice on surviving the crunch...
More09 March 2009
Keir confident in Swindon
Keir confident in Swindon New Jazz will bring 'stability', says Honda European Vice-President...
More05 March 2009
Mandelson mickey-take
Mandelson mickey-take Swindon gets another mention in Private Eye - have your say..
More15 February 2009
Recession starts today
Recession starts today Honda shift workers begin 4 month lay-off...
More30 January 2009
Extended shutdown for BMW?
Extended shutdown for BMW? Swindon MINI staff braced to follow Honda's lead...
More29 January 2009
RELATED LINKS
Honda - website
RELATED BUSINESSES
  Honda of the UK Manufacturing Ltd.  
myswindonweb
AMS Accountancy
Berkeley House 234x60
Monahans - Chartered Accountants and Financial Advisors
The Brunel Shopping Centre Swindon
The Hair Group, Old Town, Swindon