Jazz what Swindon needed
New Honda model seen as a big boost to Swindon business
It just shows what a difference a year can make as the first British-built Jazz was driven off the production line at Honda's car manufacturing plant in Swindon this morning.
Jazz in tune:
production has moved to Swindon from
Japan to keep up with demand for the
new family 'supermini'
Ask any Swindon worker nine months ago whether they thought this would happen and they would probably say no - but today there was nothing but good news.
The South Marston plant announced it expects to make
20,000 Jazz models in the first six months, bringing a planned total production level for the factory in this financial year to just over 100,000.
Compare that to back in February, when the plant closed for 4 months as demand for new cars slumped.
75% of the cars manufactured at Swindon are destined for the UK market, with the other 25% exported to 55 countries across Europe and other regions, including South Africa.
The five-door Jazz has
made up 70% of all of Honda's Government Scrappage Scheme deals and is seen as a car ideal for those looking to downsize.
"We see this addition of a third model as a wonderful opportunity in the current climate," said David Hodgetts, Director of Honda of the UK Manufacturing (HUM).
"The car is incredibly popular with customers, and it has won countless awards for its quality and reliability."
Today also marked the move of the production of Jazz from Japan to its Swindon factory which according to Mr Hodgetts further demonstrates that Honda is surviving the global recession relatively well.
"Sales of new cars are improving and shifting production to the UK is a real vote of confident for all our Associates here in Swindon," he added.